10) Adds shine to the coat. Melt a small amount of oil in your hands - skim over your dogs coat (like you would apply a light hair oil to human hair) and watch it shine.
9) A safe moisturizer that your dog can lick! Great for dry or cracked paw pads and hot rough elbows, etc.
8) Relieve itching and hot spots. It's rare for even the itchiest dog to have sensitivity to coconut oil so you can apply it to hot spots or other raw areas created from allergies.
7) Add up to 2 tablespoons (less for a puppy) to your dogs diet to help with digestive issues and increase immunity. Start with 1/2 tablespoon and increase gradually to avoid upsetting your dog's stomach.
6) A small dab of oil on your fingers will help ease eye boogers and other gross clumps of goo (think dried puppy poop) off your pup.
5) Add some oil to grooming gloves to increase shine, reduce shedding and reduce dandruff.
4) Add a small amount to puppies food to improve brain health - it's loaded with Omega and Fatty Acids! Start with a very small amount (just enough to lightly coat food).
3) Rub the oil into matted hair to help work out the tangle before resorting to scissors.
2) It freshens breath - the antibacterial properties and great taste make it a substitute for dogs who hate toothpaste but can also help freshen breath when simply added to food.
1) Perfect suture solution - for our females that have c-sections, raw nipples or other issues related to raising a litter of puppies, coconut oil is a lifesaver to relieve itching from sutures or dry nipples form nursing with no concerns if the puppies (or mom) ingest the oil!
This blog contains affiliate links. I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from links on this blog. We do not recommend any products that we do not purchase and use for our dogs.